The Murray Edwards Story
The College was founded as ‘New Hall’ in 1954; six years after the University began awarding women degrees. We opened our doors to just 16 students in that first year, who resided in temporary accommodation while funds continued to be raised for a permanent home. This came in 1965, with the opening of our current buildings which were designed by Chamberlain, Powell and Bonn.
We adopted our current name ‘Murray Edwards College’ in 2008, following a donation of £30 million from former student Ros Smith (Mrs Edwards) and her husband Steve Edwards.
The name was chosen to recognise the generosity of the Edwards family and to honour our remarkable first College president Dame Rosemary Murray, who studied Chemistry at Oxford University and became one of the first women at Lady Margaret Hall to achieve a DPhil.